History of St. John's By-the-Sea

Longtime St. John’s member Ruth Lucas and the late Arnold Newalu completed a labor of love in 1999 in the publication of The Genesis of St. John’s by the Sea: A Mini-History, 1931–1997. This document includes a thirty-one-page history, and lists of vicars and confirmations over the thirty-six year period, as well sixteen pages of archival photographs.

Download A Mini-history of St. John’s by the Sea (pdf 5mb)

The Reverend C. Fletcher Howe, in his role as diocesan historiographer, compiled an early history of St. John's By-the-Sea, which was later reissued by his successor at the diocese, Rev. Kenneth D. Perkins. This 8-page document draws on the Hawaii Church Chronicle and provides a compelling picture of the determination and faithfulness of the early leaders and members of St. John's congregation.

Download "Beginning Days of St. John's By-the-Sea"

In "Kane'ohe Pineapple," Peter Young provides a brief overview of agricultural development in Ko'olaupoko, from sugar in the late 1800s to rice and pineapple in the early 20th century. A pineapple cannery, near where St. John's now stands, closed in 1923 and the land was eventually converted to grazing pasture for cattle.

See "Kane'ohe Pineapple"

Historical Archives

St John's 1948

St. John's By-the-Sea, August 1948

Holy Eucharist
Sundays 9:30 AM

St. John's By-the-Sea
   Episcopal Church

47-074 Lihikai Drive Kāne'ohe, HI 96744 (808) 239-7198

church woodcut